Mobile Protection Toolbox
- Mobile Apps
- Digital Wallet
- Cloud Computing
- Security Software
- Detection Skills
- Glossary &
- Mobile security software exists for you to actively protect yourself – and your information – from cyber criminals.
- Installing security software can protect your mobile device from data loss, theft, malware, spyware, hackers, and viruses.
- A mobile virus can drain your device's battery, erase and steal important personal and/or business-related information, and even render certain features of your device nonfunctional.
- Mobile malware can send infected files to your contacts, send mass messages without your permission, and make expensive calls from your device resulting in unwanted billing.
- When searching for mobile security software, choose something that is easy to understand, and simple and straightforward to install and operate.
- Look for security software or a device with built-in functionality that allows you to remotely lock your screen and/or wipe the information stored on your device. Some software will sound an alarm if someone tries to get into your phone with a wrong password.
- Scheduled and on-demand scans, online management options, remote backups, an activity log, parental-control monitoring, and accepted and blocked number lists are great features to look for when choosing mobile security software.
- Look for software that clearly lists a help and support line for contacting a representative who can answer any questions you might have about the software.
- Take caution when choosing a security software provider. Look for companies you recognize or have been recommended by friends or family members. Be wary of offers from companies that initiate contact with you – there are scams out there, so you need to be careful.
- Keep your software up-to-date. Software programs regularly send patches or fixes or need to do periodic scans.
- Date modified: